Saturday, March 15, 2014

It is absolutely amazing that, for a city as saturated as it is, Prague hasn't seen more automotive accidents! Seriously, in the 72 hours, roughly, that I have been in Prague, I have witnessed more potential accidents and reckless driving than I have back in the states, believe it or not. Then again, if our streets were as narrow and populated as these, we would witness just as many "potential" accidents. What can I say; it is day three, and "boredom" has been one of those concepts that has yet to cross my mind. We are always doing something, and there is always much more to be done. I leave for Olomouc tomorrow afternoon, but I will return to Prague in two weeks. I am ready to move on and see new things. Today, my adventures led me to the old district, where some of the architecture from medieval times remains intact. Most of the city of Prague contains buildings that look to be four-hundred years old or older! I could not have asked to see a more wondrous sight, especially when we climbed to what seemed like the top of the city. Let me tell you, I think I have gotten my exercise to last me a month! Now that I think about it, most of the citizens of Prague, that I have seen thus far, are a, mostly, fit people. Overall, I believe that we walked a good seven miles in and around Prague, and that didn't even cover half of the city! We walked by the old Jewish sector, saw some government buildings, over a dozen souvenir shops, and, of course, food stands. I still have trouble paying money for food out of those shacks. Perhaps, one day, I will move past that phobia, but that is not this day. Afterwards, that is when we proceeded to climb the hill. Trust me, huffing and puffing could be heard from the crowd. At the top was a huge metronome. It was made of metal, and it was gigantic. The sound it made was a knife to the ear, and it also sounded like it would break at any minute, but the object, itself, was amazing. We continued walking, and that is another thing! I have lost track of how many dogs I have seen! Everyone seems to have a dog, and they are all well trained. Some don't even need a leash, and they never leave their owner's side. I have yet to see a poorly trained dog. But, despite all of the dogs I have seen, there is not a single cat wandering the streets. I have not seen any strays as of yet. Anyway, we spent the major portion of the day exploring the castle grounds. The castle was more of a compilation of buildings, rather than one large, immaculate building. While we were unable to see the interior of the church, which looked completely bad-ass, by the way, we did see plenty of cafes, shops, and towering structures. Men in uniforms populated the grounds as well. Many in our group tried to take pictures with them, but, of course, they didn't make a responsive gesture. I refused to do so; I felt bad for them. What may have been the most interesting event that I witnessed today would have to have been the political rally. A bunch of people with flags and signs stood by a man shouting into a microphone. Of course, I could not understand a word he was saying, but a few of the people in the crowd held Ukrainian flags, so it may have had something to do with the Ukrainian conflict currently  stirring. After eating Italian food, we returned to the Hostel, and I have been resting ever since. While my time in Prague has been full of adventures and wonders, I am ready to move on to something new. I have found that my abstinence from alcohol is more of a problem here than back home. Back home, I thought it was a good thing that I stayed away from the drink, but here, it seems like a curse. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, goes to bars every night. Going to a bar to drink water seems like a waste to me, and I just take no pleasure in the atmosphere of a bar. I don't know, but I hope that I find something else to occupy my time
                                                                    





in Olomouc. Anyway, I leave the "City of a Thousand Spires" tomorrow in search of more interesting prospects. I will return in due time. As promised, here are a few more photos that I have captured on the day. I have taken way too many, so, obviously, I cannot post them all, but I hope to put them up on Facebook at the conclusion of this adventure. May the stars shine bright over you, and "May the Odds be Ever In Your Favor!"                                                      -Anthony

1 comment:

  1. Anthony thanks for sharing your experiences with all of us back home. It looks like a beautifully fascinating place! Enjoy!
    Have you ever thought of being a writer? Your writing is very good. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete