Friday, March 14, 2014

Clouds are rolling, the blue sky is as flat as a lake, and the breeze is as soft as mist to the face. For a split second, my surroundings do not differ any from my Nebraskan home counterpart. However, one look at the streets, and I know that I am far from my home--far far from my home. Life here is a bustling hub of on-the-go action. The research I did, prior to my arrival, was an understatement of what I have now witnessed. The personalities of the people can vary as much as the terrain on the moon can. One person could be the kindest saint, and then the next could be a total witch. Just like the moon--you never know when you will suddenly find that deep, dark spot. For instance, the waiter, at a bar I went to, was incredibly vibrant. He was hustling here and there, asking us constantly if the goods were satisfactory, and, all around, giving us a pleasurable experience at a really nice bar. On the other hand, upon my return to the hostel this evening, I asked the front desk clerk if I could have a simple glass of ice. She glared at me and just turned around and walked away. I have noticed that some of the people here can be incredibly rude to us. The research and readings stated that it could be so due to their viewpoint of us being "stupid, ugly Americans." At first, I thought that a bit extreme, and perhaps even an exaggeration. However, upon a mere 36 hours of residence, I see that to be pretty accurate. As for the events, in which I took part in, I saw and did so much. I walked along a street running parallel to the tram, and I hit a few of the shops. I even completed a few more transactions in this foreign currency. I am getting the hang of this! The currency, itself, is really cool, and very different from the currency back home. After I returned, I ate lunch in the hostel bar, and took off sight-seeing. I saw all kinds of things, like populated parks, beggars, people rowing on the river, and ancient, amazing architecture. I tried to take as many photos as possible, but like I said before, the city of Prague is a go-go-go place. No time to stop for more than a few seconds. The beggars shouldn't have been a shock for such a big city, but it doesn't seem to matter for me. Anytime I see a beggar, I always feel shocked and wounded. On a lighter note, as I was walking about a particularly crowded square, I saw two statues, or so I thought. They were bright, golden people standing perfectly still. I had heard





about street performers like this, but, having never seen one in person, I didn't understand what they were at the time. I tried to take a picture, and one of the "statues" used a mirror to blind me with the reflection of the light. I felt completely stupid after that and, needless to say, I left the scene quite quickly. After that bout of sightseeing, I went back to the Mosaic, and, after a quick nap, I returned to the city with renewed vigor.  As a group, we retraced many of my previous steps, but we did hit a restaurant near the river. The food was good, and the atmosphere was completely hospitable. After supper, we wandered the market area only to see more souvenir shops and food galore! Everything from roasted pork, to cinnamon rolls, to ice cream! Or maybe it was frozen yogurt. Regardless, most of the food, on the streets, seemed to be pretty appetizing. We proceeded to a bar known as the Black Angel Bar. The employees all seemed very gracious, and the place was absolutely stunning. Dark, but stunning. After all of the bars we have hit thus far, I can, honestly, say that I have not partaken in any drink thus far. I have tried several different types, but none of them have caught my attention. I will try and post as many pictures as I can, but, with my computer on the fritz, as of right now, I do not know if they will all make it. I will do my best. Lastly, I have begun to use some Czech language around the city. Granted, I have not yet completed an entire conversation with it, but I have used basic words and phrases, like "Thank You," "Excuse me," and "Do you speak English?" It feels good to know that you don't stand out so prominently as you did when you first got here. Anyway, have a super fantastic day, and "May the odds be ever in your favor!"
                                                                               -Anthony

1 comment:

  1. Experience any foods you can't get in the states? What have you all bought so far?

    ReplyDelete