Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Despite the fact that I have lived here for little more than a week, already, I still find it hard to believe how much I have accomplished thus far. Every day that I have been here, I continue to reflect upon the way Americans think and behave, and I compare that to what I observe half-way around the planet. Already, I am beginning to think and act like a native Czech, instead of the American mutt that I am. Whether I am in the store, the University, or just walking along the street, I look at every person I pass, and I instantly categorize them as Americans, Czechs, or other. With the non-Czechs, I instantly find myself annoyed at their naivety and ignorance. For example, the other day, I was in Globus checking the candy isle (Does that really surprise you?) when a few Americans stepped right in front of me and blocked my view of what I was originally looking at. My first thought was, "Damn Americans," but I caught myself, and I had to laugh at what I had become. For me, assimilating into a foreign culture is not tough, especially when the culture is Czech. The people are solemn, almost depressed, and quiet. For those who know me, I can fit right in with that description quite easily. I have even had a couple Czech citizens approach me and start speaking Czech as if they knew me. Now, either they thought I was one of them, or they just do not care how they talk or behave around Americans. Either way, I am grateful for my natural camouflage. Throughout my life in the states, I was constantly exposed to a lifestyle that maintained that we, as Americans were the center of the attention and that people of Middle to Eastern Europe were something else entirely. From the stories that I had heard on the news and from other media, I wasn't exactly inclined to disagree. However, with this experience, I have seen the other side to the coin; I have seen what it means to be anything and everything but American. It is similar to those situations in movies where the hired spy is sent to eliminate a target, but when they meet the target, they realize that the target is human, just like them, so they defect and live in a completely different area, take on a completely different name, etc. Well, maybe not to that extreme, but you get my point. I have seen the reality of the matter. I always knew Americans were loud, opinionated, and obnoxious, but now I see just how much. It is sad that, in order to see the reality of this situation, I had to step outside myself. I had to abandon the principles of my life, abandon my lifestyle as an American and, basically, abandon my entire person. In doing so, I could finally see things from their point of view, and I know that, once again, Americans are wrong. (That seems to be a recurring trend anymore.) It will be a tough transition to return back to the way my life was, despite the fact that I was only here for a short time. The time I have been here, thus far, has shown that these people are more like me than Americans are. These are a humble people, filled with pride over their homeland. Americans, on the other hand, are egotistical, boisterous, loud, and an expensive people who take much of their lifestyle for granted. Why would anyone want to give this up for that? Well, I don't mean for this to sound sad or grave. I will return to the states, despite my ranting against the Americans. Tomorrow, I travel to Prague, so I will, more than likely, post again tomorrow, for those who got sick waiting for my next post. I apologize about the wait, and I will try not to let that happen again. I can't make any promises though. Fare thee well. "May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor!"
                                                                                     -Anthony-

No comments:

Post a Comment