Monday, March 17, 2014

Have you ever found yourself treading water in the middle of a river as a torrential wave blasts debris your way? In that split second, you realize you have to make a decision-- either attempt to fight through the debris and hope like hell that you make it to the other side, or you let go of everything and hope that the river carries you further and faster than the debris on your ass. Granted, the river is metaphorical, and no, I have not been swimming in dangerous rivers and fighting fearful odds. However, I have found that this transition to live in Olomouc is similar. I can either fight the culture of this place and try to preserve my own ways, or I can just go with the flow and hope that all ends well. I apologize that I missed posting yesterday, but we have had no internet access for the past forty-eight hours. Believe me, for some, that was the real challenge. No, however, after successfully setting up the connections, I am back online and ready to continue telling my adventures. As for yesterday, I can honestly say nothing much was done. We packed up from the Mosaic House in Prague, and we hopped on a bus that took us to Olomouc, our central headquarters for the next two months. The bus ride was about five hours long, and most of us slept throughout it all. Most of my peers were in great need of that sleep, lets just say. From the glimpses that I caught through slitted eyes, I found the terrain to be remarkably similar to that of Nebraska. There were fewer fields, but vast expanses of grass, trees, and shrubbery, or greenery encompassed the terrain. At one point, the road was completely enclosed by a grove of trees. So thick was it that visibility in the bus was greatly reduced. Anyway, once we arrived at Olomouc,we embarked upon a lengthy procedure to get checked in, and, once I had my key, my roommate and I rushed to see what would be our "home" for the next two months. I have to say, honestly, I was a bit shocked. Each "flat" has four rooms, each with two people per room, and a central kitchen area that is very, very small. All in all, I would have to say my dorm room, back in Kearney, was bigger, and that's saying something. But, I shouldn't complain; I have food, shelter, and an education. What more could a kid ask for? We took a stroll throughout the town and found a quaint, little restaurant. Of course, as Americans, we had to indulge our lustful craving for more American cuisine, like Pizza. Once that concluded, we headed back to the room to sleep. Now, as of what happened today, it gets a bit more eventful. We began with Orientation this morning. That entailed walking about the town some more! I swear I will lose some weight by the conclusion of this adventure. We toured the town hall, and we were given a brief historical lesson about the building. On the walls lie frescoes that depict elements of Olomouc and the construction of the building itself. Then, we went to the top of the building, and it was quite frightening. While I am nervous with heights, I was able to hold myself together. The view, however, was astounding. Enormous cathedrals were, actually, below us. How odd to have the upper hand for a change. After everyone had their fill of sightseeing, we exited the building, and the students went their separate ways. I, on the other hand, continued with a wonderful person I met. She took me to get a phone, to to ATM, and, afterward, I attended a lecture with her. I, of course, was not required to be there at all, but it was an English lecture with three Scottish poets, and they talked about how they started their paths, and how they came to be where they are today. It was, really, quite astounding. The accents, in themselves, were enough to keep me there. The Gaelic readings were also stunning. I just listened and absorbed, for that is the best way to absorb a true essence. All in all, the lecture was about the blending of languages, like English, Irish, Gaelic, Scottish, and several others. After that, I began to head back to the dormitories, but I met some of my fellow peers on the tram, and we all decided to go to Globis, a store similar to Walmart. I do have to say though that it is a bit ridiculous to have to pay five crowns to get a cart. While that isn't very expensive, it still is ridiculous. I loaded up on miscellaneous goods and headed back to the dorm for the first time today. I only had time to shower before I had to go right back out to a local pub. Of course, today is Saint Patrick's Day, so the bar was packed. I had my first alcoholic drink, and I finished it! Alcohol is nasty, but, with the proper blending, I have found that I can stomach a few types. After that drink and some social chitchat, I walked back to my dorm while they continued in their merryment. I was super exhausted, and I had had enough of the smoke and booze. Now, I am back in my room with the internet properly functioning, and I am so glad that today is done. I have been so busy, and I sure hope that things calm down soon. I apologize for the face that I don't have photos of yesterday or today, but I can post some other pictures that I had taken the other day that I never shared. May your blade stay sharp, and your path remain bright. Good day and good night. "May the Odds be Ever In Your Favor!"
                                                                          -Anthony




No comments:

Post a Comment