Saturday, April 19, 2014

Well, with Spring Break dissolving rapidly, it does feel good to settle back into "normalcy," or what meets the requisites for "normalcy." While it sucks that classes will resume within a matter of days, I am ready to sail ahead and get underway. While this trip has been largely impressive and a great learning experience, I do have to say that the thought of home, and its inhabitants, does appeal to me. Two words, "FREE REFILLS!" That will, pretty much, sum up my first day back in the states. Curse the European way, in that regard. How is anyone supposed to ration out their one, small drink throughout a meal? Anyway, I guess all that traveling over the past few days really sapped me reserves. Last night, I embodied the classical, elderly problem. I fell, and I didn't get back up. I, quite literally, feel asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. While laying in bed, prior to my attempt to sleep, I zonked out. I awoke with a start. My mind raced-what day was it? What time was it? How long had I been out? As it turned out, I had only slept for fifteen minutes, thankfully. I got the hint that it was time for bed, and I soon extinguished the light and hit the hay. I awoke today at ten, and yes, I had every reason to sleep in. The events of the morning were quite uneventful. I read, studied, wrote an essay, you know, the basics for a college student. For lunch, I treated myself to some tasty burgers. Let me just be clear, just because I am cooking here, do not expect me to be some expert, seasoned cook. (No pun intended) Mother, do not get any ideas, and pass that message along to dad while you are at it. During the afternoon, I took a walk about the town, visiting some local establishments. Book stores, clothing stores, electronic stores, all the necessities. I took the escalator a few times just for the hell of it. Hey, when you get bored and you need to kill time, you find crazy things to do. I am sure the locals are beginning to notice some strange boy walking about the town, going into various places, using escalators for ten minutes and then leaving, but hey, I will never see them again. Then, tonight, something unexpected happened. What started off (as I planned) as a routine night turned into quite a fun little adventure. The few of us that are back from Spring Break decided to grace a local restaurant with our presence. Named Caesars, a few of us had pizza, and a few had chicken. My pizza consisted of mozzarella, oregano, sausage, ham, and egg. It may sound good, but it really wasn't. I mean, it was ok, and it was a good choice for a first time, but I wouldn't do it again. We sat in Caesars talking about simple things, preferences, fond memories, old stories, etc. We moved from there to a gelato place, called Cafe Opera. One worker couldn't understand our English, but another spoke near flawless English. She may have, even, had a southern style of speaking, but I am unsure. I got a mix of strawberry, vanilla, wild berry, and yogurt flavors, and it was particularly appealing. Everyone got a blend of something different, and not one of them walked away unsatisfied. I have to say there is something with this gelato. It is appealing to everyone and not terribly expensive. Why can't America utilize this concept a bit more? Anyway, what I have to say I enjoyed most about the night was not the food, or the gelato, not even the cool breeze that ruffled through the buildings, but the company. I have found good people, kind people who listen. These people are fun, interesting, and relateable. I can only hope they had as good a time as I did, and I hope there will be many more to come. With the night's end comes satisfaction, and what a day it has been. Tomorrow is Easter, and it will be my first without my family. Wish me luck with that. I hope it will be a splendid Easter back in the states because, for the women here, it seems far from splendid. A brief lecture, the men fashion whips from sticks, and they "beat" the women on Easter Monday. It is not a harsh beating; it is more playful, but I still find is appalling at every turn. I support it in no sense, and I am thankful that it hasn't found traction back home. Thankfully, it seems to be just a Czech tradition. Anyway, I hope that you all enjoy yourselves during this holiday season. May God watch over and keep you. "May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor!"
                                                                        -Anthony-

No comments:

Post a Comment