Monday, April 14, 2014

Well, Spring Break is, officially, underway. This morning, we all woke up, bright and early, to part ways and say farewell. I, however, got up at 4:50 this morning to catch my train. That was beyond dedication; that was like a soul-infused desire to accomplish this mission of mine. My first train departed from the station at 5:40, but I didn't land in Zurich until 3:30 this afternoon. So yea, I have been sitting in a freaking train all day, and I feel like crap. I have a splitting headache, and the room spins every time I stand up, but I have to say, it was all worth it. My first train landed in Milan Centrale at about 8:30. I didn't, exactly, know where Milano was, so I settled in a hot spot and did some digging. Milan is still in Italy, so I hadn't crossed a border. Also, apparently, Milan is known for its fashion and up-to-date trends, etc. However, from what I saw, I can honestly say I wasn't too impressed. It was no different than any other place, and the prices were crazy, as usual. The station, itself, was really cool, though. The gigantic size and ancient architecture not withstanding, the station, itself, was easy to navigate with some cool bars and cafes along the sides. I killed about 2.5 hours in that station (which was easy to do), and then I got on my next train for Zurich. That one left at 11:10, and the itinerary claimed it would arrive in Zurich at 2:50. However, we didn't arrive until about 3:15 because the train operator was a moron, in my opinion. Every stop took about 5 minutes longer than usual, I swear! I slept on and off most of the way, but I desperately tried to stay awake. Once we crossed the border, the scenery took a drastic turn. One could, instantly, tell the difference between Italy and Switzerland. All of a sudden, the cramped houses and people turned into rolling hills, ginormous mountains, and villages and cities nestled into those mountains. The flora was absolutely stunning. Even from the train, I could see the bees, the grasshoppers jumping here and there, the blooming rose bushes, etc. I tried to capture as many pictures as I could, but from a moving train, it can be quite difficult. All of a sudden, a huge tree or building stands in the way of your picture, and you just curse silently and look like a fool for taking a picture of a block of stone, or something like that. With the border crossing came the security. I think they were trying to be incognito, but when you sit across from me and stare at me the whole way, you sort of become obvious. He didn't ask to see my papers until the end of the trip (weird), but it's whatever. It was quite comical because I had my passport and ticket checked at least three times, and the others around me never had theirs checked. I must stand out as an outsider. Anyway, once I landed in the station, my host's father picked me up, and we proceeded to make our way back to the apartment. I learned that the currency in Switzerland is different from its surrounding neighbors. I was anticipating a country which operated with the Euro currency, but instead, they operate with the Swiss Frank. Once I acquired some of this cool-looking currency, we hopped on a tram, and we strayed from the city center to my new, temporary home. It really is a quaint, neat little place. I mean, I get my own room, but no furniture. Literally, the only thing I have is a bed and a sink. No desk, dresser, etc. However, from my window, I get a front-row view of the mountain/forest. I am wanting to utilize one of the days that I am here to tackle that mountain/forest. I also want to make my way to Aarau, but I don't know if that is in the cards for me or not. I just got back from the shops near the apartment. Everything in Switzerland is super expensive, so it was painful to buy what I did. However, a necessity is a necessity, and yes, caffeine is a necessity. I will try and post some pictures. I am at a new wifi spot, so, hopefully, it will work this time. Pray that I continue my stay in a safe and illuminated way. I pray for all of you back home, whom I hear have received some pretty nasty weather lately. I, on the other hand, would have enjoyed that weather. Go figure! Anyway, stay safe and have fun. "May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor!"
                                                                            -Anthony-





No comments:

Post a Comment