Saturday, April 5, 2014

Fear not, my adoring fans, I have not been consumed by the hardships and obstacles that is Olomouc, Czech Republic. I am still alive. Well, with my absence the past three days, I figured at least one of you was, probably, wondering. So never fear, the man with a plan is here. Actually, I have no plan; I just appreciate the play on words. Anyway, the reason I haven't been posting is because this week has been sort of slow. Basically, the past few days have consisted, purely, of waking up, killing a few hours, going to class, coming home, and sleep. However, as evident by my sudden interest to write, something has happened! Earlier this week, I decided I would try something different. I was going to hold a pasta party, or whatever you want to call it. Basically, I wanted to make enough spaghetti to feed the group, or however many would show up. I went to Globus to pick up the beef, the sauce, the seasoning, the noodles, the whole nine yards. Last night was the night of truth. I had all the ingredients; it was all right there...staring at me. It wasn't going to make itself, although I, desperately, wished it would. Not even joking, I stared at the pile of goods for a few minutes, attempting to mentally beseech its assistance. Needless to say, it didn't work. The time was 5:15, or 17:15, as the Czechs like to say it. Military is very important to them over here, although heaven knows why. Most of the natives joke about their military. Anyway, the guests were expected at 6. I knew I had better get started. I had 4 packages of noodles, 3 pounds of beef, 4 jars of sauce, 2 burners, 2 small pots, and 2 small pans. Quite clearly, this can be seen as an issue. Nonetheless, I made two pans of sauce, merged them together when they were done, set that compilation aside, and I began boiling two pots of noodles. Once a pot was done, I would shift the finished noodles into a container, and I would start on another batch. Eventually, I had one pot of noodles and one container of sauce, and I just left them on the burners on a low setting to stay warm. All in all, I used all 3 pounds, all 4 jars, and 2 packages of noodles. Let me tell you, at one point, we had 20 people in our small, barrack style room. They cleaned out what I had made, and everyone had gotten a portion to eat. I felt completely accomplished on the night. However, I was so mentally drained after that. I felt as if I had done a week's worth of work in that one night. How people do that every night remains a mystery to me. Today, we were supposed to go on a bike ride to some nearby towns, but that plan was cancelled due to bad weather. Instead, I ran to Globus three times (don't ask me why). I would estimate it's about a mile walk to Globus. I trust you can do the math and figure it out. I, also, experienced what a movie in a foreign country was like. It was pretty much the same with a few key differences. First of all, they give you assigned seats (of course, I sat where I wanted). That didn't work out so well. Second, they have the movies in English and in Czech. The English version has Czech subtitles, and the Czech has English Subtitles. Of course, I got the two mixed, so my second walk to Globus (the theatre is attached to Globus) was for nothing. I had to turn around and return to my dorm. (Yea, I was extremely pleased with Mr. Martin Movie Man) I did, however, get it right on the third try. Third, the advertisements are in Czech, but the previews are in English. And, of course, the one important similarity is that I still smuggled my food and beverage into the theatre. Otherwise, the layout is a basic movie theatre. They like their posters and cardboard cut-outs. Their advertisements are extremely bizarre and unnatural. One had something to do with a Gorilla that uprooted the Eiffel tower. Don't ask me what the purpose of that was. Anyway, now I have returned to my dorm. I wish I could write everyday to keep you updated, but then my blogs wouldn't be worth as much, and I don't want to bore you with boring details. I mean, going to class and sleeping isn't exactly the highlight of the century right now. Your focus would be better spent on the crisis in Ukraine right now. I know, not far from me, right? We do hear about it from time to time. We, even, witness some public rallies and street preachings with Ukrainian flags. I do my best to avoid it, as do most here. Anyway, I need to rest. The effects of last night still haven't wore off. Have a pleasant afternoon/evening. "May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor!"
                                                                                           -Anthony-

No comments:

Post a Comment