Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Do you remember, from your childhood, a place that your friends and family only spoke of in whispers? The only place where mythical creatures might be found? A place of such heavenly description that it seemed impossible to even exist? A place that one could only talk about, or think about, because you knew that you would never be able to go there? Well, for me, that place was Aarau, Switzerland. I remember my grandmother, during her life, relating stories to all of us about her home in Switzerland. I, even, recall one Thanksgiving, at my uncle's, where some ancient footage was found. We ran the film, and what appeared was like something out of heaven's gate. Mountains, covered with green, and houses erected right on the side of those mountains. A city on a mountain. Water fell from on high, and it splashed at the base with a glistening rainbow. I thought that if heaven looked like anything that could be found on Earth, that was it. Unfortunately, the footage didn't last long, as it was extremely old and sensitive, only so much could be shown. I thought, right then, that if I could ever get to that place, I would have come close to Heaven on Earth, if there was such a thing. As you all know, I am Zurich, Switzerland, and Aarau, I found out, is only a 27 minute train ride away. When I learned of the convenience, I knew I had to go. A "once in a lifetime" opportunity only comes around once in a lifetime, after all. This morning, I got to the station at about 9:30 a.m. and went to book my train. As luck would have it, the next train going to Aarau left at 9:38 a.m., so I ran like hell to catch that train. Throughout the ride, I continued to go over all I knew of Aarau--all the legends I had heard, all the memories and stories I had, etc. I desperately hoped that I wouldn't be disappointed with what I would find. After all, the film had been almost 100 years old, if not older. When I landed at the station, I stopped and took in all that was around me. It didn't smell of industry; it smelled of nature. When I left the station, I noticed the smell strengthened. Flowers, trees, honey, amber, grass--if that all could be compiled into one smell, that would have to be what I smelled in Aarau. I took a hard right, and I visited some local shops. I asked some of the locals if they knew my family. Yes, I used the correct names. They said they were unfamiliar with the names. I continued on, determined to find something. As it turned out, I did find something--a park. I entered the hive of trees and explosive natural beauty and wonder. It was so amazing that they had something like this right in the center of the city. It wasn't an ordinary park; there were huge trees, flowers, bushes, ponds, benches, huts, and paths. I even found a building called "The Albert Einstein House." I do not know if that was a place he stayed, or if that was just named so in honor of him. I will do some digging on that. Behind that building, I could see the mountains in the distance. I wanted to get a better look at them, but I wasn't prepared to trek through a city I didn't know. So, I turned around and headed the opposite way, a left turn from the station. I asked one of the locals where the river was located. After all, Aarau is named so due to the river that runs alongside of it. She pointed me in the right direction, but I never did find it. I am sure a turn was necessary somewhere, but, like I said before, I wasn't about to hike through a city I didn't know. I just continued on the path, and, lo and behold, I found a trail. For me, a good hike is always under the category, "fun." I began my hike, but, before long, I was hiking up a mountain! Ok, it may not have been a "mountain;" I don't know if it was high enough to be classified as one, but, if anything else, it was a giant hill. I hiked all the way to the top, from what I could see. It was quite an accomplishing feeling to do that. Along my hike, I came across a wildlife reserve, where I saw a bunch of animals with weird names. They looked familiar to elk, goats, rams, and such, but the names were foreign, so I don't know, really, what they were. As I hiked, I had to reflect that no city, that I have yet come across, could balance rural and urban as well as Aarau had. I mean, a few steps outside of the populated area of the city was a mountain/hill. Multiple parks are spread through the city, and a river runs along and inside of it. I also reflected upon the question, "Why would anyone leave this place?" After all of that, it was about that time to head back to grab the train that would return me to Zurich, but fate had one more surprise in waiting for me. I was retracing my steps back through the city, heading towards the station. I must say that the one fault of Aarau is its traffic. There are so many crosswalks and lights for a smaller town, such as it is. I was waiting at one of the crosswalks when a girl came up from behind me. She was texting, or doing something on her phone (go figure), so she didn't see what was coming. She must have thought that she had the clear-to-go and that traffic would stop. Traffic, obviously, missed that memo, because one car decided to lurch forward. As she kept walking, I began to panic. "What was she doing!?" I reached out for her purse strap that ran along her back, and I pulled her back onto the curb, just as the car sped away. Granted, I had, nearly, (probably) strangled her to death, but she was alive and well. The look on her face, clearly, stated that she was just as stunned as I was, and, more than likely, the driver as well. She looked at me, gave me a kiss, and then she walked away. I stood there for a minute longer, speechless. After a while, I gathered my wits, and I pressed on, loving Aarau more and more. Finally, I came to the station, boarded my train, and I returned to Zurich. I sit here now, and I can't believe that a few hours ago, I was in the city that I never thought I would see. I had just been in the city of whispers and secrets. I had just seen the splendor of the city of legend. I regret nothing, not even the ticket that was, actually, pretty expensive. It was all worth it. I captured 229 pictures of Aarau alone. That is the most, of any one place, I have ever taken on this trip. I will post a few, but I can't wait to show them when I get home. I know there are a few out there who need to see these just as much as I did. I was thinking about my grandmother the whole time I was in Aarau, and, with each step, I wondered if I was walking the same paths that my grandmother, or her family, had in the past. Was I, literally, walking in the footsteps of my ancestors? All in all, Aarau turned out to be a major success, the kiss not withstanding! I heard that there was a blood-moon last night, and I am super disappointed that I missed it. I hope someone got some good pictures. Hey, maybe, when I get back, we can swap photos huh? Anyway, have a good rest of your day. May your blades stay sharp and your shields strong and durable. "May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor!"
                                                                                           -Anthony-







No comments:

Post a Comment